A little bit about this place called Austin Seminary...


Some of you have expressed an interest in knowing which classes I am taking this semester. They are: Introduction to Old Testament, Systematic Theology I, The Church as a Worshiping Community, and Church History. All 4 of these professors are unique in their own way which makes each lecture very interesting! I have each class twice a week for an hour and 20 minutes. To begin each class session the prof. leads us in prayer. Now you may be thinking, duh, it's seminary. And I'm thinking that as well, but it is just something to come together as a class in prayer to begin each lecture. And when it comes test time I'm REALLY hoping they lead us in prayer!!
We have chapel everyday except Wed. at 11:00. Monday and Friday's are when Seniors give a sermon for their senior preaching class, Tuesday's chapel includes the Eucharist, and Thursday is when Pres. Wardlaw preaches. On Wednesdays at 11:00 we have something called Midweek-Manna. This is when the student body comes together for a time of fellowship/announcements/activities, etc. & free coffee and doughnuts!!! Yum! It's beginning to be my favorite time of the week.
The seminary does not hold Sunday worship services b/c they want the students to find a church home in Austin. So far I have visited 3 different Presbyterian churches and I have found something I like about all 3 of them. However, there's no place like home! And it's SO HARD not to compare.
Week 2 of my first year is winding down. Friday morning I am getting together with some Seniors to play golf and then Saturday morning we have flag-football practice! Every year the Presbyterian Seminary plays the Episcopal Seminary in a flag-football game which we call the "Polity Bowl." How fun?! I guess it's a pretty big event and I'm really looking forward to it!
I have attached a picture of the seminary and also a picture of the entering Junior class - that's me in the front in the pink!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home